Sometimes….if I’m lucky….I get to create multiple pieces of furniture for the same client over the course of several years. This time…..I got to paint the same piece of furniture AGAIN….for the same client….after several years! Did you follow that? Same client > same piece > new color. Let me show you how I completed this black Bombay chest…
I painted this chest probably six years ago in a taupe/creamed coffee color with a dark brown glaze. My client is in the process of a move and is planning to use this in her daughter’s room. She asked me to paint it a solid black….with gold handles.
Simple enough right? Not really! Painting furniture black is REALLY easy!
It is top-coating painted black furniture that people struggle with. We all want that super fine finish over black paint and we are often disappointed by cloudy or streaky topcoats.
Well, what do you think of this finish??
Step-by-Step instructions for a smooth finish using gator hide
I am going to both tell you and show you exactly how I did this with my favorite and user-friendly Dixie Belle products!
- Removed hardware.
- Cleaned with White Lightning per instructions.
- Painted two coats of Caviar on all surfaces using my Mini brush and continuous fine mist spray bottle.
- I let this dry overnight.
- Lightly sanded all Caviar painted areas with a finishing pad.
- Wipe down with a dry micro-fiber rag.
- Applied one coat of Gator Hide to top surface and drawer fronts with a dry Applicator Pad.
- Applied one coat of Gator Hide to the rest of the dresser with a brand new Mini brush. (using a brand new brush helps ensures a super smooth and flawless finish)
- Let dry for at least two hours in between but I allowed to dry overnight.
- I then applied another coat as described in steps 7 & 8.
- I sprayed hardware with Gold Foil Spray Paint.
- I paint washed with Caviar and wiped back.
- I enhanced with Gemstone Mousse (not yet available) in gold.
- Once dry I secured hardware to the dresser drawers.
And there you go! This black Bombay chest has the most beautiful sheen offering an almost velvet-like finish.
If you have struggled with getting a finish you can be proud of….over dark paint….please take the time to watch my video where I demonstrate exactly how to achieve this finish on this very dresser.
Or if you would like to see the series of three videos while creating this black Bombay chest, check out my playlist HERE.
It’s not often that I paint with one color but it does happen from time to time. Just last week, I painted this white cabinet with a fun pop of color inside and this bright and vibrant green retro buffet is not to be missed!
It is my hope that you will be inspired to give this a try yourself!
Shop: Black Bombay Chest
The products listed here are what I used for this project! Dixie Belle Paint company offers amazing products that will make all of your projects successful no matter what your skill level! Just click on any of the products shown below! You can also find my favorite products and tools in my Amazon influencer list here.
Here’s how it works…these products are attached to my name. When you purchase by clicking from my blog…..then Dixie Belle offers a kickback to me for referring you! It doesn’t cost you any more to use my links….and the support helps me to bring you new projects! So I thank you in advance!!!
If you would like to paint your own furniture ….but need a little help getting started…I offer a furniture painting basics course that would be the perfect place!
Or if you are looking for more advanced techniques, check out all of my course offerings HERE.
I’d love for you to follow me on Instagram, Facebook or YouTube to see all my creations first!! And as always, sign up to get my blog newsletter here to see more of my fancy furniture creations, unique art designs, room makeovers and insight into my design process!
See you next week!
Please share my black Bombay chest pins and follow me on Pinterest!